Friday, November 27, 2015

Term 4 Reflection

So that's it - my first year teaching a 1:1 chromebook elearning class!

It's been a big change and a year of massive learning for me. Mistakes have been made and systems have been refined, no doubt this will continue next year and beyond. After all isn't that what we call learning?

Would I go back to pen and paper style teaching?  NO!
Would the students prefer to go back to pen and paper style learning? NO!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that elearning enhances student learning across every part of the curriculum and builds life long learning and collaboration skills as well. Reflection about our learning and personal goal setting has become a feature of my chromebook class and this was something I didn't anticipate at the beginning of the year. Learning how to learn and using the language of learning has become an intergrated part of the programme.

I've shared many of my favourite sites and strategies and I'm sure that these ideas will continue to grow and change.

One thing that won't change though is the absolute priority that must be given to cybersafety and digital citizenship. This must be a focus at the beginning of the year and revisited throughout. I've also learnt that students need regular reminders about what is and what isn't appropriate use of their school chromebook. Random daily checks on the history of the student computers is a good idea. The intentional 'misleading' of students about my capabilities of looking into their computers remotely has been useful as well. Good routines are essential.

Starting with a brand new year 7 class was very difficult (see previous blog posts.)  For that reason next year I will keep half of my current students and take on new Year 7s to form a composite class. My year 8s will be leaders and I look forward to helping students to develop a tuakana / teina learning relationship.

I'm looking forward to continuing the journey next year with the personal goal of attaining the 'Google Educator' level one badge. Watch this space.







No comments:

Post a Comment