Monday, December 2, 2013


End of year writing survey 28 November 2013

 (Year 8 Students, 24 responses)


I gave my students a simple questionnaire about their progress in writing this year. Here are their responses:

  1.  Has your writing improved this year?
·      Yes = 21 
·      No = 2 
·      Don’t Know = 1

     2.  How do you know this is true?

Yes
·      My marks are higher (10)
·      I am using more / better language features (4)
·      I am using improved Vocabulary (9)
·      I am using improved punctuation (8)
·      Comment specifically using the word ‘Structure’ (2)
·      Gained confidence (1)
·      Others tell me I have improved (1)

No
·      I’ve got some of the same marks at the start of the year. (2)
·      I don’t put in the capital letters and full stops.

    3.  How do you know when you have succeeded in classroom writing activities?
·      Comment about ‘Success Criteria’ (12)
·      Getting positive feedback/ comments on my writing (8)
·      Attaining a ‘level 4’ (2)
·      When it sounds great (1)
·      When I feel confident about it (1)
·      Partner checking / helping (4)

     4.  What teaching Strategies have helped you to improve in writing?
·      Provided a success criteria (9)
·      Helped us make our own goals (6)
·      Punctuation / Grammar lessons (11)
·      Giving  written feedback (5)
·      Providing exemplars (5)
·      Teaching Language Features (2)
·      Individual Conferencing (3)
·      Clear explanations / good advice (4)

      5.    How do you feel about your writing? (A selection of responses)
·      I feel very happy and proud about my writing. I have improved a lot.
·      Great.
·      My writing has improved and I am more confident.
·      I feel proud when I produce a good piece of writing.
·      I feel like I am ready for High School.
·      I feel very confident in my writing. This year writing has been fun.
·      I really like how my writing has improved.
·      I feel much better and more confident with my writing.
·      My writing has improved immensely and is much better than at the beginning of the year.
·      I feel proud about my writing.
·      My writing just gets better and better every time I write a story.
·      I didn’t like writing before and now I do.


So what does this writing survey actually tell me about my teaching practice? 

Where to from here?

Hmmmm.......


No comments:

Post a Comment