Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Unruly Classroom


Rule #1726: Children will not throw things.

I've been pondering rules, rewards and consequences lately and the question that repeatedly occurs to me is: "Do we really need all these systems?"

I believe that we should expect children to be good. We should show and teach them that it's a good thing to be kind and good. Being good comes with its own (often intrinsic) rewards.

So why do we insist on classroom points systems, tokens and rewards for being good?  Do these systems really teach kids the value of being a good and valuable member of a community? Or are we actually building a culture of 'What do I get out of it?'

Could our classroom management systems ultimately be contributing to a less kind and good society as our kids grow up believing they should be owed a reward for basic goodness?

I've always believed that positive reinforcement is the best form of classroom management. A quiet word, "You did a great job," a meaningful comment written on a piece of work, or even (be careful with this one) an actual pat on the back. Direct, personal and meaningful praise is worth much more than points, stamps, sweets, gifts or any of the other commonly used 'payments for goodness.'

I don't like to use bribes in my classroom  (Yes I did write bribes there - ugly word isn't it?) You won't find a chart of group points on the wall, or  a treaty of how we will behave, I just expect kids to be good. I try to model being kind and good. I try to tell kids when they're being good and I like to remind them about being good if they forget.

It's really not an 'unruly' classroom, just one without too many systems and rules.




3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of how we shouldn't talk to kids.

    http://allanahk.edublogs.org/2007/04/14/how-not-to-talk-to-your-kids/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Allanah. I agree with this article, certainly we should think a bit more about the effects of over-praising.

      Delete
  2. For many years, I have not used any reward system or groups points. Class is very well behaved and expectations are high. Relief teachers also comment about how wonderful they are to teach.

    ReplyDelete