Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why I Read Aloud


I've started the year with a 3rd year teacher-trainee doing her final practicum in my  (Yr 7) classroom. I find that being an associate teacher is great for my own reflection. A good student asks intelligent questions which makes me reflect on and justify my practice. 

After the first day I was asked, "Why do you read aloud?"

"Why do I read aloud?"  For a second I was slightly flummoxed, why do I? Of course I was able to spout off something about building vocabulary and making text accessible blah, blah, blah. But later (isn't it always the way?) I realised what I should have said: "I read aloud because it is the single best thing I can do to help my students develop their literacy."

There is stacks of research and information about the value of reading aloud and the impact it has on reading attitudes and literacy attainment in children. A quick google search revealed almost 3 million hits. So the research is all there if you choose to read it. That is not why I do it.

I read aloud to my students every, single day because:

Reading aloud creates engagement with text. I think this is particularly important for lower-ability readers because children who struggle to read often still love stories. By doing the reading for them I am sharing the wonderful world of literature and helping these kids to develop a culture and enjoyment of reading even though they may not quite be ready to tackle this level of literature themselves. Reading aloud gives students the content benefits without the pressure of struggling to read it alone. It makes text accessible for all.

Reading aloud improves vocabulary and writing skills. When children are enjoying listening to a good book is the perfect time to discuss the meaning of selected words.  The story provides an authentic context. I often record some of these words on an 'Interesting Word Chart' which is displayed in the class. I frequently notice words from these charts appearing in student writing as they explore their new vocabulary.

I also like to use short extracts from read-alouds as exemplars to teach writing structure. Learners relate to the exemplar if they have previously connected with and enjoyed that particular story. I sometimes tell my class that they are really lucky because today Joy Cowley / Maurice Gee / JRR Tolkien (insert name of author)  will be their teacher. Then we deconstruct a piece of previously read (or rather, listened to) text according to my selected focus for the lesson.

Reading aloud broadens the mind. Yes I may have inserted one little word into that well known cliche, but it's true. Reading does broaden the mind. It provides general knowledge and information and puts issues and concepts into context. It helps us to learn about the world. Reading aloud does the same for our listeners and provides even greater possibilities for discussion and analysis.

Reading aloud promotes future reading and a culture of reading. I make it a personal rule never to read aloud the sequel. When I read the first book of a series to my class I know the subsequent books will become very popular issues from our school library. This can also apply to authors or even genre.

Reading aloud promotes imagination. Ideas can come from anywhere, stories or snippets of stories can be brilliant thought starters. Maybe it can even promote the idea in students' minds that there is a whole world of creative careers and futures that they might choose to pursue. I often encourage children to draw while they listen, I know that some of us listen and engage best when our hands are occupied.


Reading aloud is a really enjoyable classroom activity.  Enough said really.









No comments:

Post a Comment